Sunday, November 25, 2007

Reflections

I'm still sorting thru my thoughts about the trip but here are some preliminary observations. I'll need to work over my priorities for the coming year.

It is clear to me that the area we're in offers much in the way of opportunity to serve. This comes with some mixed feelings however. I am more aware than ever of how backward the culture is, and how great is the need. We will need to refine the scope of our plans or we will be overwhelmed.

Developing ability to communicate in Vietnamese is clearly one of my highest priorities, for without it I am sort of a fifth wheel. With it our effectiveness would be more than doubled.

I'm challenged to accept what I would call barbarity or cruelty. I refer to the lack of what I consisder basic care for animals. Then there is the inattention/neglect of the children.

The harvest is great, but the laborers are few.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your trip. Glad the typhoon missed you too! Hopefully we'll get to meet in Phan Thiet one of these times!