Sunday, November 18, 2007

Monday Morning

We got up and met Richelle for breakfast near the Ben Thanh market. It was good to see her again and catch up on her experiences and insights. She has great stories to tell and humorous observations, as well as weighty comments about the problems of this culture. We plan to gather this evening with her and Anthony & Kieu.

Then we went for a haircut, shave, shampoo and facial massage. Anh got great treatment and lots of it(sans the haircut and the shave). The gal who cut my hair couldn't quite figure out how to make both sides about the same. We finally gave up and reasoned that we could have it fixed if we stopped her before she'd gone too far. She started to dry shave me; WHOA big fella! We switched off to another girl and she gave me the TLC I was looking for. But prices in this part of town are too high; it was about $5 USD.

Today we need to confirm my flight out tomorrow and pack whatever impedimentia is going with me. I'm hoping my uneasy stomach will straighten up and fly right this PM.

It occurs to me that I haven't filed my after action report on our second Thursday (last) story time. We had between 40 & 50 kids show up. There were also half a dozen adults. Anh had purchased toothpaste and brushes and she distributed to the older kids, but they went really quick. Of course we had a big supply of popcorn and candy. The story was about Jonah and the great fish. The program runs for about an hour but they kept coming and didn't leave until about 6:30. Some of the late comers came because they heard we were giving stuff for free. While we want to be generous, we don't want to establish a precident of coming at all hours for handouts. So Anh nipped that in the bud in her own tactful way. The kids here are for the most part unruly, and poorly behaved. I think it is from lack of training in the home.

No comments: